In 2014 the Society established the annual Croker Prize for Biography in memory of our generous Benefactors Colin and Loas Croker.
From 2016 one prize is awarded annually,
Entries for 2017 are now open and the theme is 'A Tough Life'. Further details of the 2017 competition and the entry form can be found here.
Entries are accepted until midnight on 31 May each year, with the winner announced in the September issue of Descent and on the website. All entries are loaded to our website and remain online until at least June the following year and become part of the Society's permanent collection.
- Croker Prize 2016 - see below
- Past Croker Prize winners/entrants
The winner of the 2016 Croker Prize for Biography was Christine Collins, and her essay Dan's Legacy was published in the September issue of Descent and is reproduced below. There were 25 entries and all are able to be downloaded individually by following the links below, or you can download one composite file here.
- 1601 - Olive de Conlay - by Barry Ridding
- 1602 - Jock Frew Story - by John Ross
- 1603 - A self-made man - property investor John Knipe - by Jennifer Oswald-Sealy
- 1604 - Louisa's Secret - by Maureen Coply
- 1605 - Louisa - by Patricia Rogerson
- 1606 - An English Rose of Picardy - by Roberta Madsen
- 1607 - One of the finest horsemen to throw a leg across a saddle - by Dinah Hales
- 1608 - Gallant Gunner - Jack Stuart Murray - by Jennifer Wright
- 1609 - Driving Death from the Door - by Marisa Yeaman
- 1610 - An Admirable Ancestor - Arthur Francis Soundy (1836-1911) by Sylvia Murphy
- 1611 - My Aunt Bessie - by Elizabeth Hall
- 1612 - Allison's Story - by Pam Kempster
- 1613 - Britain's First Lifeboat Station - by Rick Aindow
- 1614 - No Admiration Here - by Donna Kellion
- 1615 - The Clan Keeper - by Jim Fleming
- 1616 - Uncommon Endeavour - by Liz Adams
- 1617 - How Irish rebel Murty Ahern became a pioneer of early Liverpool - by Brian Ahearn
- 1618 - For a Better Life - by Maxine Perry
- 1619 - Luis de Castro Castilla Contreras - by Anthony Lehner
- 1620 - The Phenomenal Family Legacy of Joyce Lily Dodd - by Liesl Harrold
- 1621 - The pilgrimage of life- Thomas Frederick Sames - by Ruth Graham
- 1622 - William Who? - by Melva Kruckow
- 1623 - The Ancestor I Most Admire - by William Barnett
- 1624 - Dan's Legacy - Christine Collins - WINNER 2016 CROKER PRIZE FOR BIOGRAPHY
- 1625 - The Old Lady from France - Megan Fox