Our Research Services
A personal visit to our Resource Centre at 2/379 Kent Street is highly recommended. However, if you live outside of the Sydney metropolitan area and can't visit we are able to undertake limited research in our collections for you.
If you are an SAG member and live outside of the metropolitan area you are entitled to three hours' free research in our collections per year through our research service.
We also offer a limited service to non-members. This involves a $40 fee payable in advance (GST inclusive) which covers a check of sources held in our collection. Further limited research is undertaken at our discretion at a rate of $40 per hour.
All research is undertaken by a small team of volunteer Research Officers - experienced members who give their time, drawing on both their knowledge of family history and of our collections to assist with research enquiries.
We do not conduct research in other Sydney repositories such as the Mitchell Library, State Archives etc.
What you need to do
- Set out exactly what you require checked, stating what research has been done to date and what sources you have already tried. If you don't give us this information you may be paying for us to check somethign you've already tried.
- The shorter and clearer your enquiry, the sooner we'll be able to help you!
- Copies of certificates and documents should be provided where possible.
- A brief chart showing the family being researched will always help.
- We will only open attachments to emails where they are clearly identified as relevant to your question. In the first instance you must include your research enquiry in the body of an email. You can also post and fax information to us.
- Do not send money with your enquiry - you will give you a quote once we confirm we can assist. Research fees are required in advance and can be paid online through our shop or by credit card over the phone.
- You can also submit simple research enquiries electronically.
What you will receive from us
- We will provide you with the result of the search undertaken on your behalf, including a list of the sources checked for you (both successfully and unsuccessfully).
- Where appropriate we will give details of further avenues of research which you can investigate.
- We may make recommendations on certificates or documents you should purchase but we will not do this on your behalf.
- All enquiries are answered by volunteers in the order received. Turn-around time for research is usually 3-4 weeks. However the team is small and individual absences sometimes cause delays.
We're unable to undertake long-term or protracted research by mail. If we believe that the research you are undertaking requires specialised knowledge, on-going research or records checked which are not held by us, we will provide you with a list of professional researchers whom you can approach directly to undertake the work on your behalf. We do not make personal recommendations from this list but all have successfully completed our Diploma in Family Historical Studies.