Basics on Australian Biographical & Genealogical Record (ABGR)
The ABGR was established by SAG in 1982 as a non-profit, independent research unit, to coordinate and compile biographical and genealogical details about early Australians. The project initially worked to publish a series of reference volumes for the Australia's Bicentenary in 1988.
Seven volumes were published in this series:
- 1800-1802 Musters & Lists - NSW & Norfolk Island * - published 1988
- 1805-1806 Musters of NSW & Norfolk Island * - published 1989
- 1811 General Musters of NSW, Norfolk Island & Van Diemen's Land - published 1987
- 1814 General Muster of NSW - published 1987
- 1822 General Muster & Land and Stock Muster of NSW * - published 1988
- 1823, 1824, 1825 General Muster List of NSW * - published 2000
- 1837 General Return of Convicts in NSW - published 1988
The project also published four volumes of pocket biographies - mostly sourced from information provided by descendants.
- Volume 1 of Series 2 * (arrivals/births 1842-1899) - published 1985
- Volume 2 of Series 2 * - published 1987
- Volume 3 of Series 2 - published 1989
- Volume 1 of Series 1 (arrivals/births before 1842, plus a supplement to the Series 2 volumes) * - published 1991
Some remain in print and are available through our online bookshop
Research associated with the publications now forms part of the Society's Manuscript & Image Collection and includes 50,000 biographical detail forms.