Welcome to the Society of Australian Genealogists
The SAG has been helping people trace family history for over 80 years. Located in the Sydney CBD, we have a world-class library and manuscript collection, much of which is unique. We run an active programme of lectures, workshops, seminars and tours, have a shop selling books, charts and software and can give advice on all aspects of genealogy. We look forward to helping you uncover your family's history.
Members who register for one of our webinars will now automatically receive the recording to that event - so you can listen to it again later, or catch up if you missed it live.
Applications for the Certificate course are open from 1-29 Feb. Apply online - more details here
Our library is located at 379 Kent Street. There you will find:
- family histories and biographies
- local & school histories
- birth, death & marriage (BDM) indexes for all states of Australia, New Zealand, England, Wales and some other countries
- shipping records
- probate records for many states of Australia and for England and Wales
- cemetery transcriptions and burial registers
- parish registers
- English, Welsh,Scottish and some Irish census records
- Family Search (including the International Genealogical Index and Ancestral File
- Access to the major commercial sites such as Ancestry, FindMyPast, The Genealogist, British Newspaper Archives, Discovery (National Archives UK) and much more
- Access to over 1200 electronic databases covering both Australian and overseas resources
In the March and June 2007 issues of our quarterly journal Descent we published a two-part article on Finding Your Way Around the New SAG Library, which gives some helpful tips on how the collection is set out and how the library classification scheme works. A copy of part one is available here and Part 2 is available here for download.
Manuscript & Image Collection
Check these Upcoming Events
|Thursday, 11 February 10:30AM|
Writing Discussion Group - Using Photobooks to Produce a Family History
|Saturday, 13 February 09:00AM|
Free Library Tour - Where Do I Start at the SAG Library?
|Saturday, 13 February 10:30AM|
Family Tree Maker User Group - AM Session
|Saturday, 13 February 01:30PM|
Family Tree Maker User Group - PM Session
|Friday, 19 February 10:00AM|
Hands On @379 - County of Cambridgeshire
|Saturday, 20 February 10:30AM|
Reunion for Mac Group
Access our Expertise
Mix with experts in your particular field of interest with the range of research and computer user groups, which meet regularly at SAG - they might help you over that brick wall..
A problem shared is often a problem solved – let our volunteers, researchers and members help you.