Our library collection
Our library is located at 379 Kent Street. There you will find the most heavily-used of our world-class library collection which includes:
- family histories and biographies
- local & school histories
- birth, death & marriage (BDM) indexes for all states of Australia, New Zealand, England, Wales and some other countries
- shipping records
- probate records for many states of Australia and for England and Wales (1858-1943)
- cemetery transcriptions and burial registers
- parish registers
- English, Welsh,Scottish and some Irish (surviving) census records
- Family Search (including the International Genealogical Index and Ancestral File
- Online databases including the major commercial sites such as Ancestry, FindMyPast, Origins, The Genealogist, British Newspaper Archives, Discover (National Archives UK) and much more
- Access to over 1200 electronic databases covering both Australian and overseas resources
Click here for our
In the March and June 2007 issues of our quarterly journal Descent we published a two-part article on Finding Your Way Around the New SAG Library, which gives some helpful tips on how the collection is set out and how the library classification scheme works. A copy of part one is available here and Part 2 is available here for download.
Donations of books to the library
If you would like to donate a book to our collection please download the Library Donation Form available here and use our main mailing address of 120 Kent Street for delivery, as there is no postal service to the building in which our library is housed at 379 Kent Street.
Nick Vine Hall Bequest
Cataloguing of a major benefaction received from the late Nick Vine Hall is now complete. A list of all items received is available here listed in catalogue order. This summary list shows the main title and catalogue reference. You can also use the main Library catalogue to obtain further details by selecting 'Nick Vine Hall Bequest' from the drop down Copy Type box on the first search screen.